‘A Christmas Carol’ by Charles Dickens is your 19th Century Novel. You will be assessed in Literature Paper 1.
Revision task: Create an essay plan for the following questions. Don’t forget to cover all the assessment objectives.
- How does Dickens present the spirits as intimidating figures?
- To what extent is Tiny Tim presented as a pitiable figure?
- How does Dickens explore the idea of forgiveness?
- “Tiny Tim doesn’t need a ‘second father.’ Bob is far more generous to Scrooge than Scrooge ever is to the Cratchit family, even after he has changed.” To what extent do you agree?
- How does Dickens present Scrooge as a man of business?
- How does Dickens explore ideas about poverty and misery?
- CHALLENGE! How does Dickens use the narrative voice in the novella?
- How does Dickens present ideas about wealth and greed?
- To what extent is Scrooge a sympathetic character throughout the novel?
- How does Dickens make use of the seasonal setting to impress his message on the audience?